Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cut n' Paste Poetry!

I did some great reconnecting with my 2nd grade self today, 
as did a handful of others:



Today was all about cut n' paste poetry!  

And it really ended up being a blast.  Essentially, I wanted to end the semester with a nice, collaborative art project that would give passersby equal opportunities to observe or participate in my work. I set up shop in Upper Main Place, right off of the library entrance.  I arrived, paper bag in tow, stood for a moment to see how many people might notice me standing solo in this precarious spot, and then began tossing newspapers, magazines, advertisements, glue sticks, and scissors on the ground.  Once satisfied with my surroundings, I sat down, put up a friendly sign about my project (as seen behind me in this photo), and began silently working on my own cut n' paste poetry.

I didn't really expect too much attention for this project, but, I was definitely proven wrong!  Immediately I had teachers and students stopping by to ask about the project - what was I doing?  What was it for?  Could they join me?

Of course!  And they did. And I loved every second of it.

I met some great people, had lovely conversations, and ultimately enjoyed a wonderful afternoon making art with friends and strangers.  I was so appreciative of the positive response, and was happy to have made an impact on the days of a handful of Parkside folks.  

One professor told me that my project was "very sixties.  Like a happening." <- Exactly!  And I was glad to hear it.  Another asked if she could pass the project on to her daughter.  Of course!  And I hope that they both end up reading this post and have a chance to create their own impromptu project as well.  

I collected 8 cut n' paste poetry works today; I will be posting them at school tomorrow (in janitor-free zones, so they don't disappear) and taking photos.  I hope those who participated will find their artwork here.

AND, because the project was so successful, and because so many people seemed interested in taking part, I'm going to continue cutting and pasting all through next week, hopefully during the noon hours so that more people will be free to join and create.

It was a blast.  Art was bringing people together, releasing frustration, and giving peace of mind. More to come.


Pass it on.
Chad

1 comment:

  1. So, I was moping around on Thursday and not feeling really great. I walked into Wylie and see Chad sitting on the ground surrounded by a mass of newspapers, magazines, etc. I was intrigued. As I sat down and started to use my brain, I really got into it and my overall happiness level started to improve. I will definetly incorporate projects like this into my life and try to help others day's improve like mine did when I sat down and made some cut n' paste poetry.
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete